Sunday, January 12, 2014

Deer Valley Chili

This recipe was shared with me from my sister Nicole in which was shared with her from her friend Jen.  There is a restaurant in Oshkosh, WI called Fratello's (Fox River Brewing Company) that has this amazing white chicken chili. This recipe is the closest I have ever come to that recipe. For years I have wished I could find that recipe. If you are over the regular chili this is a great one to move on to. It is seriously delicious.

2 cans black beans (thoroughly washed)
1 tsp pepper
1/2 C butter
2 medium anaheim chili peppers (you can substitute this with poblano peppers. I couldn't find anaheim)
2/3 C red pepper
2/3 C red onion
2/3 cup celery
1 large leek (white part only)
2 cloves garlic minced
2 TBSP dried oregano
1/4 C corn flour (found in the mexican food section at your grocery store)
1 tsp cayenne (scale back if you do not want it too spicy)
2 TBSP ground coriander
2 1/2 TBSP ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/8 C sugar
4 1/2 C Chicken Stock
2 1/4 C corn
4 C diced chicken or turkey (I used a rotisserie from the store to save on time)

Melt butter in a stock pot, add chilies, onion, red pepper, celery, leek, garlic and dried oregano. Cook until veggies are tender (about 10 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Add flour, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook for 5 minutes. Add sugar and 4 C chicken stock, reduce to a simmer. In the meantime while that is simmering add 1/2 cup chicken stock and 1 1/4 C corn in a food processor and puree and then add to chili. Finally add black beans, remaining corn and chicken (or turkey). Simmer for 25 minutes.

Top with your favorite chili toppings: I use cilantro, sour cream and shredded cheese. If you use 1 tsp cayenne there should be enough spice!

Enjoy!

Thanks Jen DeRose for sharing and thank you Nicole for passing on to me!






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife made this recipe shortly after we had the white chicken chili at the Fox River Brewing Company in Appleton. We can't tell any difference between what the restaurant serves and the chili made from this very good recipe. Thank you very much for sharing for all to enjoy!

Unknown said...

I ran the Fox River Brewery kitchen for a few years and I'm excited to make this. I forgot the recipe now but I know it wasn't as involved with pureed corn and no poblanos. I also want to say there was sour cream added and it was thickened with corn starch. But thanks for the cheat sheet!

Anonymous said...

The one missing ingredient is beer I received the original recipe from someone in Oshkosh that knew the recipe that was in 1999

Anonymous said...

Definitely correct on your comments